Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Okay, Okay...I Get It!

I hate when my own words come back to bite me right in the bum. At that point what can you do but accept it and move on? I had one such moment this last week which I ALMOST didn't admit to. I am staying with the Stokes family during my summer in Overland Park and have had the opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with them for dinner, birthday parties, going to the theatre, and even voice lessons and dance class. After Dance class last week Adelyn (the eleven year old) was commenting that her least favorite part of dance was the stretching.

"What?! That was one of my favorite parts!" I remarked, remembering that great feeling of warming up and feeling lithe and limber in my younger days.
"But it hurts because she's trying to make us all be able to do the splits." Adelyn reasoned.
"Its a good hurt though. Just think how cool it will be when you can do the splits...ya know, I can do the splits!" I thought maybe the fact that old and chubbilicious Halley could bust out the splits might encourage her to keep pushing through the pain.

The next day or so as I was doing some studying I read a talk from Elder Richard G Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles entitled "Trust in The Lord." As I read his counsel and advice on where trials come from and how to face them I contemplated where I am in life, how I got to this point and how I could possibly get to where I want to be and then he said this:

"Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your own disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding and compassion, which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain."

OKAY OKAY I GET IT! My excuses of it hurting, being uncertain that I can handle some of these issues (or at least not wanting to) suddenly hold no water. I am constantly reminded that "Stretching" is one of my favorites...and to think how cool it will be when I can do or be whatever it is I am stretching towards.

2 comments:

Kylie W said...

I like this Halley! What a good way to look at things.

Jennae said...

Bahaha... I love those moments of realization. When you say I get it, and You are funny Sir. :)