Sunday, July 27, 2014

Screw You, I'm Awesome!

first of all, 10 points if you can name the source of this post title (ya know, other than the fact that it is my life motto)!

Ok so recently I have kind of been dating. It's weird. I don't date. I've never been the girl that dates. It's not that I have anything against dating, I've just never been that girl.  Until a couple weeks ago I had never really had a true first date. All of my "first dates" up to that point had occurred with people I was already in some sort of relationship with. John and I were friends that hung out all the time until one night he kissed me...and then we were together.  Damon and I were denying the fact that we were actually dating for about 2 months before our first date. And...nope that's about it. So to say my dating experience is limited is, well, spot on. Dating in the MoMo world is, like a thing. Especially in the YSA sector of that world. So, as a card carrying member of that world, I thought I was qualified for my foray into this new experience. But what I have learned as I have dipped my toe in the dating pool is that I understand why people give up on dating. It almost boggles the brain to think that people actually fall in love and get married and are happy and stuff. But they do, I know lots of 'em!

 Examples you request? Examples I give:

Example A) After talking with a gentleman for several months (online, don't judge) we decided to meet up and go for a date. The date went well enough, and then, complete radio silence...for a week. This may not seem like a lot, but understand that up to this point, we talked EVERYDAY, multiple times a day. I spent the week searching the innermost workings of my being in order to discern just what the eff happened. Blurring over some details I learned that he had been panicked about the fact that I had told him that my girls (4-7yr olds btw) were pretty sure I should tell him to be my boyfriend and had prayed that we would fall in love and get married. At first I beat myself up about not thinking to process that stuff out, but then I realized, screw you! I'm awesome! Not only that, I'm 28, and am ready to be getting married and having babies. I am no longer at the point in my life where empty relationships without direction are worth the time and effort I would put into them. (I'm an awesome girlfriend, as should be obvious). So I've learned that I might come on a little strong but this was CLEARLY not the boy for me. NEXT!

Example B) A Blind date. Awkwardness is inherent when the first time you meet someone is on a date. So I kept my mind open. We had a good time, talked for several hours, so I agreed to a second date. This date was EPICLY awful. Seriously, it is the stuff that dating horror stories are made up of. Lemme explain...no there is too much, lemme sum up: I planned everything (not a problem, because I am an awesome date) but he was rude, and arrogant, and ignorant...and his dentures and closemindedness prevented him from trying any of the delicious picnic I prepared.   It was clear to both of us, that this was not going to lead to a meaningful relationship. NEXT!

I have no more examples.

This is NOT a woe is me post! I am a strong and independent and happy person. I'm starting my student teaching in 2 weeks and could not be more excited for the final semester of my degree! I love life! Life is crazy, and mine is like a television show - (but for real don't these scenarios sound like subplot material?) I am continuing to learn about myself and becoming a better person. It's safe to say that I had no idea what I was getting into...and I'm just gonna hang out for a bit. I know that there is a plan for my life that will lead to the best happy ending for me, so I'm not going to fret. Perhaps this is just a reminder to my married peeps, and the future married me, that you're not missing much in the dating world.

Also, I'm awesome.

That is all.

5 comments:

Ken and Andrea. said...

Oh, honey. I could tell you some real douses. I have considered writing a MoMo horror book entitled "Dating for a decade, and other horrific tales," but then I realized, I don't want to relive those moments, who else would want to read about them? You just might have to get your share of funny tales to laugh with Prince Charming about. Because, after all, your Prince Charming out there, getting ready to find you someday. And, you are awesome. Love you!

Unknown said...

Bwahahahahahahahahaha oh my GOSH! Halley....I'm dying over here! You have to be one of the most epically awesome people I have EVER. Met! And seriously, I don't know where you find these guys! It's like your awesomeness gets translated into a sign that says "Douche bags welcome." He didn't even taste your picnic? He's obviously an idiot and I declare his tounge shall be cut out immediately! My mind is boggled by the boys you find yourself associating with! I declare you move to AZ! Other states are CLEARLY failing you! I love you!

Artchick said...

Once you have your student teaching completed, I think you should start writing the script for a real television show on dating in the new millenium. This is screamingly funny (though I know it didn't feel that way when it happened) and I know you could create something as great as "The Big Bang Theory."

Ashlee said...

I completely concur with the dating scene.. I dreaded stepping back into it. I have decided the best way, for me anyway, to go about meeting people is to attend the single adult conferences. That way, there is no online infatuation and then drop off by the time you meet them! They can see you for you, first hand. Also, there hasn't been any stress to go and meet people at them, you know.. to date. Just meet an
d make friends! It's been totally fun.. and I have met a couple people at them!! ;) Good luck darling! #datingisoverrated, #datinghaschangedinthepast10years.

Ashlee said...

ps.. you are TOTALLY AWESOME and deserve someone just as! :)