Sunday, June 15, 2014

"Something Like That"

Everyone is posting on facebook their wishes of happy father's day to their dads and expressing thanks or examples of awesomeness to their fathers. My Dad is not on facebook, he'd never see it, he may never see this, But I've wanted to start back on my blog lately and have so many things I wish to express about my father, it seemed like the perfect idea.
My Daddy and I sporting the same smirk at a Daddy Daughter Dance

First, a few things I've learned from my Daddy:
Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Sometimes chocolate chip cookies are the best present.

Projects don't have to be perfect, they just have to work. (The title of this post comes from this idea. anytime Dad is finishing a project he will look at whomever he is with and say "something like that." As if it doesn't matter if that is not exactly how it was planned but it will work and get the job done. No need to worry about the unimportant details)

Sundays are best when you follow this schedule: Church, sunday comics, nap, food, nap. There is a lot of wisdom in this schedule!

Its okay to be a bit nerdy and a lot dorky if you laugh your way through it. Laugh...a lot. But not in a way to draw attention, when you are in the spotlight its best to smirk, stay quiet and let others take the stage. (He and I differ in our approaches here)

Its okay to feel the Spirit and get a bit choked up. Heavenly Father loves us and shows us that love through the spirit and it is wonderful!


I could go on about his silly songs and long drawn out punny jokes and his Scandiwhovian accent...but I think it would be better to talk about our relationship.  I have not always been a Daddy's girl. Not by a long stretch. In fact, there were a few years I didn't KNOW my daddy loved me.  That sounds harsh, and I always knew he loved me in that  "I am his daughter and you have to love your daughter" kind of way, but I didn't feel like he really loved me, or liked me.  I used to sit in heartbreaking silence when my father would drive me somewhere and have nothing to say to me. I thought it was because he didn't like me, he didn't share my interests, he'd rather have been with one of my siblings, etc. But I have realized since then that I simply didn't understand my father's love for me.  I remember when I first realized that he loved me. I was in college, and getting ready to go back to school or on a trip or some such thing. (I'm vague on the minutiae) But he was working on something on my car, changing a lightbulb or checking a problem (more minutiae), and then he took the car and got the oil changed, and the tires rotated, and washed the vehicle.  And I remember saying, out loud to my voice teacher "My Daddy loves me!" I had finally figured out HOW he showed his love for me. My daddy is not a talker. Never has been. Never will be. The car rides of silence

were silent not because he disliked me, but because he was a quiet guy and didn't feel, like his overly verbose daughter, that every second needed to be filled with conversation. He didn't know how to reach out to a crazy, overly dramatic, loud, energetic, teenage girl. But he knew I needed to be safe, and that he could make sure that the car he had given me, (yes yes, I know) was in its best working order to keep me as safe as possible. Since figuring out the different manner in which we manifest our love for one another, I have become a Daddy's girl. Do we have long intense conversations? no. But we can carry on full conversations by making faces at each other across the room while my crazy mom is going on about something. Does he always ask about every little detail of everything going on in my life? no. But he is always there for me when I need my Father's love. He will drive hours out of his way to give me a blessing of comfort before the piano proficiency exam, or to change the flat on my car while I am in class, or to come listen to me sing or perform in a play. And he will listen quietly as I go on and on about the new boy I have a crush on, or my frustrations and fears surrounding new developments with my ex husband. He's quiet, but he's listening. As long as I don't mention bras or sex or any of those uncomfortable situations, he'll put up with it. And we've figured out how to laugh with each other. He's a nerd, and a huge dork, and I love that I finally see that side of him instead of being blinded by my own expectations of what he should be doing. My dad is an amazing man who will do everything in his power, and beyond, to help others. He doesn't verbally express his love often, but he shows it in his constant service and sacrifice. I love my daddy more than words can express. I often blame him for my inability to find a husband, he simply set the bar so high that no one has been able to reach it...yet. Thank you, Daddy for showing me how precious I am to you, and being an amazing example. 

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: