Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Never Trust a Skinny Chef

My father is a subscriber to this belief system and so, as the resident chubster child, I made a tasty dinner for Father's day last week. I've had requests for recipes (because they were both delicious and healthy--don't tell Daddy) and I took some pictures to show off my kitchen adventures so as they say in Bud Light commercials: Here we go!


I made these Ooey Gooey Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing the night before so Daddy could have them before church. They were SO good! At 120 Calories a piece you can afford, as Dad chose to do, to eat 6 before dinner!

It is not a very difficult recipe but it takes up some room so click HERE for the link if you want to try it yourself. They look a little messy in the pan but as you can see in this shot, it's just their amazingly delicious cinnamon ooziness spreading its love across the pan. I could eat one right now!

For dinner I made grilled round eye steaks (a delicious and healthy option when it comes to steak), fresh snow peas steamed from Mom's garden, baked russet potatoes, and these next two recipes.

I started with a baked version of the delicious-but-disgustingly-bad-for-you Onion Blossom. Instead of one or two JUMBO onions I did a medium/large onion for each person so it was slightly more labor intensive and I think had a little more breading than normal (I blame my mother for my math issues in quintupling the recipe). If you're good at math or are just going to follow the recipe, click HERE.

It was pretty good. DEFINITELY make sure the onions are dry before putting them in the egg wash or you will get frustrated! I also upped the calorie count by dipping mine in light ranch rather than the fry sauce they suggest.



And now for the piece de resistance: Key Lime Mousse Pie! No messing around here. This is the recipe everyone actually wants so I'll put it right at the beginning of my spiel so you don't have to read any further if you don't want to. If you choose not to read on, my tip for this recipe is make sure you have a deep pie pan. Mine was a bit shallow and nearly over-flowed.

Food is an experience for all senses so I tried to make it pretty. We sugared some fresh limes---just make sure you eat those before you dig into the pie. Afterwards its a bit...tart. We spruced it up a bit for Daddy (and the rest of us) by garnishing with Reddi-Whip. But hey, at a miniscule 15 calories per serving--so worth it! If you do choose to reddi-whip it, do so just before serving. We did ours earlier and just put it back in the fridge and the whip melted. (Bummer we had to add more...hehehe)

This is 1/8th of the pie which is equal to one serving. Without the added whipped cream it is only 88 calories. That's no pansy skinny girl slice of pie people, and it is only 88 calories. The pie itself is only 1 weight watcher's point, with 4 Tablespoons of reddi-whip it is still only 2. So delicious, so crave-able, so easy and equally easy on the waistline.

Sorry for the wait! Hope its worth it and with some of these recipes, I'll soon be untrustworthy as a chef. :D

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Well done! Haha so glad I got MOM the cookbook. :D Glad to see someone is getting good use out of it!

whitney said...

Oooo, so yummy! I'm definitely going to have to put those on my to-try list!