Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Tides They Are A Changing

We received some very sad news on Sunday evening; my sister, Brittany, and her husband, Chad, lost their baby. This is always a very sad circumstance but particularly devastating for our family. Brittany and Chad had been trying for three years to get pregnant and had met with much difficulty. They even tried a couple rounds of in vitro and, after that too failed, they decided to adopt. The morning they were to meet with their case worker, Brittany took a pregnancy test and it was surprisingly positive! They were, of course, elated as was the rest of the family. My other sister, Caitlin, is also pregnant and they bonded (And I decided it was another way to exclude me). Everything was going well, the nursery was already nearly finished, they had clothes and blankets, Johnny and I even got the little Peanut a "Baby's First Norwegian Cup" for a Christmas present. Brittany was 13 weeks along and in her second trimester, she'd had three ultrasounds and everything seemed to be going well. At 11 weeks she had an ultrasound where they were unable to see the heart beat but the Dr. said it was just an old kind of fuzzy machine but that the baby looked good for size. What we learned after Sunday was that for whatever reason, Peanut had stopped growing at 9 1/2 weeks, we don't know when the heartbeat stopped, but we do know that Brittany continued to grow the whole time. We are all very sad but are looking forward. We know that they can get pregnant, and that her body knows how to deal with a baby, and this means she can attend my sealing!! This comes just after my best friend, Holly, lost her baby after trying for years, and Brittany's dear friend, Megan, lost theirs after going through a very similar situation as Brittany's. I don't know if its because I'm so baby hungry, or just because these girls are so dear to me, or just my innate love for babies but I have been crushed each and every time. I am so worried that I will lose a baby and I can't even begin to imagine how that feels. That doesn't help when this happens- I know that I don't know what they are going through and I can't really offer any comfort. All I can do is tell them I love them, let them know I'm here, and pray.
This is kind of a downer post. But on the lighter side: Caitlin's Boy is growing healthy and big, Lizardbreath Ducklips is nice and preggers, Jace is in town to party before he moves down here, We're down to less than 7 months to the wedding, and I'm sure there's some other good stuff but I'm at work and my head is kind of everywhere. CALLERS ARE CRAZY!!!

No comments: